The Investment Adviser Association (IAA), the leading association dedicated to advancing the interests of investment advisers, is seeking a full-time Manager, Member Engagement.
Founded in 1937 as the Investment Counsel Association of America, the Investment Adviser Association is a not-for-profit organization that has exclusively represented the interests of fiduciary investment adviser firms for more than eight decades — including playing a major role in the enactment of the Investment Advisers Act of 1940, the federal law regulating our industry.
IAA members range from global asset managers to the medium- and small-sized firms that make up the majority of our industry. Together, the IAA’s members manage more than $35 trillion in assets for a wide variety of clients, including individuals, trusts, investment companies, private funds, pension plans, state and local governments, endowments, foundations, and corporations.
Under the direction of the VP, Member Engagement and Business Practices, this individual is responsible for developing and implementing plans to optimize member retention and foster member engagement. Using a personal/concierge approach for all related activities, work cross-functionally to nurture IAA members through outreach and programming tailored to the member’s role and the firm’s profile.
Member Retention and Engagement
- Provide personalized communications related to IAA programming, benefits, and overall value proposition.
- Build and maintain strong, positive relationships with members, providing excellent customer service. Employ an “above and beyond”, member-centric tone throughout all engagement.
- Lead a new member onboarding and year-one activities program and documentation process.
- Work across the organization to establish and maintain calendar of planned touchpoints for new and existing members, such as before and after event attendance, renewals, and other activities.
- Support meetings, events, and other engagement opportunities via research (e.g., of speakers/subject matter experts, target member and prospect invitees) and in-person attendance, when required.
- Ensure creation and maintenance of robust profiles for IAA members: Update membership information, as needed, including organization name changes, firm combinations and affiliations, associated individual additions and deletions, organization and individual benefits activation and termination.
- Track, document, and report on significant events or intelligence related to member firms; propose action including recognition and celebration, as appropriate.
- Serve as members’ primary point of contact. Monitor and respond to incoming inquiries and ensure timely channeling of queries and requests to appropriate IAA subject matter experts or other members, as connector/liaison between members and IAA staff or industry peers.
- Identify members with low engagement, and oversee member outreach — involving other staff, as appropriate – to encourage participation in IAA events, committees, and other benefits.
- Be alert to highly engaged members as candidates for referrals, testimonials, and association leadership positions; communicate these to IAA senior management.
- Assist with preparation of quarterly board materials.
- Provide input for forecasting of regular membership and non-renewals for budgeting and reporting purposes.
- Assist recruitment efforts, including by sharing member activities, benefits, and stories of member successes.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred; equivalencies considered.
- Five years’ experience, ideally in a membership, client-service driven, and/or hospitality environment.
- Excellent interpersonal skills: ability to work in a team environment – highly collaborative and inclusive.
- Commitment to exceptional customer service, with ability to respond quickly to requests and anticipate members’ needs with a confident, patient, and helpful attitude.
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Keen attention to detail combined with strategic thinking and “big picture” perspective.
- Highly effective verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to compellingly articulate the IAA’s value proposition.
- Ability to juggle multiple assignments and deadlines.
- Appetite for being a “student of the business”, building an understanding of the investment advisory industry, its participants, and the clients they serve.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office product suite. Experience with Excel and Adobe Acrobat required.
- Comfort/familiarity with member database platforms.
- Experience in an association or non-profit a plus.
- Understanding of investment advisor industry also a huge plus.
The salary is competitive. Outstanding benefits package offered. Salary and benefits will be discussed on initial interview. The IAA currently offers a flexible, hybrid work arrangement with the office located on Connecticut Avenue NW in Washington, DC. This position will be considered hybrid (or mostly remote for a stellar candidate). The IAA is a great place to work, with a strong collegial environment and historical employee longevity. Consider becoming an integral part of the IAA team!
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis with a deadline of February 29. No telephone calls please. EEO. No recruiting agencies. For this particular position, we are requesting a short, self-written cover letter specifically addressing how you meet the requirements of this role.