About this Position:
As Senior Legal Counsel on the Global Advisory-U.S. Institutional team you will have the opportunity to grow an in-depth understanding of the rapidly growing and evolving managed account (separately managed account or SMA) industry, cultivate and promote relationships with key business partners and apply your legal knowledge to help achieve optimum results for the firm. This is a great opportunity for an attorney to be an integral part of a team and have a positive impact on a growing business unit.
If you enjoy working in a highly collaborative environment and have a strong commitment to continuous professional development and improvement, producing excellent, practical, and solution-oriented legal work product and providing exceptional, timely, and personal client service, this may be the opportunity for you.
As Senior Legal Counsel you can expect to provide legal advice and guidance on various institutional investment advisory matters in support of a variety of business units and legal entities within the T. Rowe Price organization. You will engage in a variety of functions, including drafting, reviewing, and negotiating sponsor and platform agreements related to the firm’s SMA business; partnering with and providing legal support and guidance to key business partners; and providing legal support and guidance in relation to firmwide strategic initiatives as well as departmental projects. Additionally, in coordination with Managing Legal Counsel you will analyze and advise on a variety of regulatory issues including issues relating to the Investment Advisers Act.
- Provides specialized, expert legal counsel to one or more businesses or functional areas.
- Viewed as a trusted internal resource capable of using knowledge of the organization's businesses, products, services, and/or strategies to articulate and advance legal positions.
- Contributes to establishing the organization's professional standards in area(s) of expertise.
- Responsible for assigned matters and may assign work to less experienced attorneys or other legal staff.
- Handles a portfolio of moderate to complex, often specialized, legal issues, including serving as an advisor to internal and external stakeholders, including outside counsel, relevant to issues affecting the assigned entities.
- Reviews presented business issues, conducts legal research and investigations, and crafts legal solutions, balancing internal and external stakeholder interests with the risks of adverse legal actions, revenue loss, or reputational damage to the entity. Issues are typically complex or without much precedence and require creative solutions. May enlist more junior colleagues to conduct more routine assignments within large-scale matters/issues.
- Communicates and collaborates with leaders who also serve in an advisory or oversight capacity, such as risk, audit, etc., and develops the legal response/position for complex issues identified as significant risks or areas of noncompliance. Reviews summaries of legal matters and due diligence activities prepared by less experienced professionals for accuracy
- Maintains an in-depth understanding of practice or functional area products and services or specializes in a specific product or practice area. Maintains expert knowledge of all regulators relevant to the practice or functional areas. Advances knowledge through participation in external industry or professional events.
- Provides work guidance and mentoring to less experienced attorneys or other legal department colleagues. May manage a micro-team.
- Law degree from accredited law school and member of the bar (any state) in good standing
- 5+ years of total relevant work experience
PREFERRED (OR ESSENTIAL) QUALIFICATIONS
- Experience at a major U.S. law firm or with an in-house legal department.
- Knowledge of and experience advising on issues associated with investment advisers.
- Knowledge of and experience and interest in the managed account industry.
FINRA licenses are not required and will not be supported for this role.
This role is eligible for remote work up to two days a week.