Location: Austin, TX
Obra Capital Management, LLC (“Vida”) is an asset manager and Registered Investment Adviser. Vida is currently searching for a Compliance Associate (“Associate”) to join our team. This position will work directly with the Director of Compliance. This is an excellent opportunity to join a growing firm.
Obra is part of the Obra Capital, Inc. platform. Obra Capital, Inc. is a vertically integrated, uncorrelated investment firm specializing in insurance, longevity, structured credit, and asset-backed lending with $3.9 billion in assets under management. The firm aims to generate long term value and attractive returns for investors across closed-end and open-end funds. With capabilities in investing, originating, structuring, and servicing, Obra Capital provides differentiated investment opportunities and capital solutions for investors globally. Vida Capital’s wholly owned subsidiary, Magna Life Settlements (“Magna”), is a vital component of the organization, responsible for originating/sourcing, diligence, and servicing of many of the assets that are purchased for those respective funds.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Associate will provide overall guidance and oversight for the development, implementation, and ongoing administration and monitoring of practices which promote an effective compliance program. Focus areas may include regulatory inquiries, performing compliance testing, preparing, and executing regulatory filings, and writing new/updating existing policies & procedures.
The Associate will manage different compliance initiatives revolving around, for example, marketing material review, Code of Ethics, and overseeing periodic and annual compliance testing. This will include ensuring policies are accurate, current, and in compliance with federal and state regulations and updating them as necessary.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications:
• Strong analytical skills to help develop and oversee detailed components of the compliance program
• Demonstrated ability to proactively provide ongoing compliance oversight
• Familiarity with using compliance program management reporting software (e.g. ComplianceAlpha from ACA Compliance)
• Support Compliance Operations with third-party compliance advisors (e.g. ACA Compliance)
• Conduct Risk Assessments to identify regulatory compliance risks to the firm
• Knowledge of federal securities regulations (1940 Act, Advisers Act)
• Ability to work independently and to effectively manage priorities
• Ability to discuss compliance issues with employees and provide employee training on compliance related topics, policies, or procedures
• Strong organizational skills to maintain documentation of compliance activities, such as investigation/audit outcomes and to prepare management reports regarding compliance operations and progress
• 3+ years of experience in investment adviser compliance is required
• Professional certification such as the CSCP or IACCP is a plus
• Bachelor’s Degree is a plus
Additional Candidate Qualifications:
• Ability to serve as subject matter expert for compliance obligations and liaise with managers, and operational and application teams to identify areas of concern, develop the relevant solutions, provide management response, track progress and drive actions to completion
• Highly independent, with high ethical standards and integrity
• Experience in program or project management
• Effective communication and presentation skills
• Experience dealing with different levels of management and across different teams
• Experience balancing multiple initiatives at once
• Ability to think strategically/operationally/tactically